Jeremy E. Deutsch is a shareholder in Anderson Kill's New York office and is Chair of the firm’s Corporate and Securities group. Jeremy has over 20 years’ experience in business law, including transactional and day to day legal counseling as well as complex corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration.
In 2018, Jeremy was selected as a member of Law360’s Banking editorial advisory board.
Jeremy's corporate practice embraces all areas of corporate transactional and advisory roles. In transactional work, he has represented clients in mergers/acquisitions, sales/leases, employment agreements/terminations, and all manner of commercial transactions, including private investment deals, technology transactions, and private equity. In advisory work, he acts as general counsel to a number of different businesses and provides counsel and advice to established businesses and startups on corporate relationship creation and architecture; corporate governance, including disputes between partners and advising Boards of Directors; and day to day business issues.
In litigation, Jeremy has represented clients and tried cases to verdict and arbitrated matters to final award in matters involving large frauds, breaches of fiduciary duty, breaches of contract and joint venture agreements, complex financial instrument and securities litigation, real estate lending, shareholder derivative suits, stock option litigation, construction disputes, employment disputes, and violations of restrictive covenant agreements by employees. He has experience in cross-border litigation in the United States, Canada and in England, including matters involving securities fraud, trade secret theft, copyright and trademark infringement, commodities fraud, investment fraud, various types of financial fraud, employee theft of high-tech products, officer liability/mandatory indemnification issues, RICO claims, employment contracts and management buyout litigation. He has been lead trial counsel in United States Federal Courts, New York State courts, the state courts of other states, and private dispute resolution in the American Arbitration Association, FINRA, JAMS, and the International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration. Jeremy also has extensive federal and state court injunction experience.
Jeremy's training as a trial lawyer gives him an unusual perspective on corporate matters, as he has seen and litigated the results of failed deals and ventures. He views corporate work as a form of centralized risk management, insofar as well-designed contracts on other corporate documents foster productive partnerships and can help prevent disputes and litigation.
Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Representative Corporate Law Matters:
- Conducted multi-million dollar sales process for Liquidating Trust Certificate and drafted bespoke purchase/sale documents for the sale of the certificate in the secondary SIPC claims trading market leading to a successful closing. Advised with respect to the sale of another such interest in the secondary market for a different client to a different buyer.
- Created joint venture arrangements (and all associated documents, including operating agreement, subscription agreement, licensing agreements, and employment agreements) for expansion of existing business into a new location with new operating partners and investors.
- Negotiated successful private investment by industry leading reinsurance brokerage firm in newly formed specialty investment banking consulting firm, (concentrated in the insurance and reinsurance space), including significant revisions to complex operating agreement. Acted as general counsel for the investment banking consulting firm.
- Conducted sale of a NYC boutique advertising firm to a European advertising firm. Agreements included: the stock purchase agreement, employment agreements; legal opinions; and, coordinating the work of the accountants, bankers, and foreign attorneys.
- Negotiated employment contract for President of major international publicly-traded fashion company, including stock option agreement and restricted stock grants.
- Negotiated severance package and associated agreements for Chief Marketing Officer of $125 billion hedge fund.
Representative Litigation Matters:
- Represented the largest limited partner in one of the Madoff feeder funds, both in litigation against the fund’s auditor and in negotiating and structuring the bankruptcy settlement with the SIPC Trustee.
- Conducted an internal investigation to resolve issues at a commodity futures trading firm where a partner stole millions of dollars from the firm and mismarked specialist trading positions.
- Tried an oral breach of joint venture case in the Commercial Division of New York State Supreme Court resulting in defense verdict on millions of dollars of alleged liability.
- Obtained a mandatory preliminary injunction in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York after an abbreviated two week discovery phase and a two day evidentiary hearing on claims of breach of fiduciary duty, copyright infringement, and theft of trade secrets. Affirmed on appeal by the Second Circuit.
- Obtained full monetary award and attorneys' fees after a week of FINRA arbitration hearings concerning a claim for repayment of a margin loan. Defeated substantial counterclaims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion.
- Conducted American Arbitration Association employment arbitration on behalf of former chief financial officer concerning breach of his separation agreement and employment contract. Obtained full judgment on contract and award of attorneys' fees.
- Conducted American Arbitration Association construction arbitration and substantially defeated claims by former contractor on the grounds of defective performance.
- Conducted International Chamber of Commerce arbitration under the laws of the State of India concerning breach of license agreement.
- Represented privately held financial services companies in the pursuit of various business protection claims for improper customer solicitation and trade secret theft.
- Served as the defense in a shareholder’s derivative suit involving claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. All claims were resolved in favor of defendants with award of sanctions and fees.
- Represented plaintiffs and subsequently Creditor’s Committee as special counsel, in accounting malpractice action. Recovery of millions of dollars for bankruptcy estate.
- Represented international technology company in cross-border simultaneous litigation to protect trade secrets, enforce restrictive covenants and prevent unfair competition.
- Represented plaintiffs in RICO claims associated with a trading and barter company, including joint representation of trustee in bankruptcy, resulting in successful settlement of all monetary claims.
- As a Foreign Associate in Nabarro’s international litigation and arbitration group in London, participated in litigation concerning the BCCI scandal.